Learn how to make vegan mozzarella cheese balls at home! A delicious, creamy, soft, and dairy-free alternative to Italian mozzarella cheese!
Do you love mozzarella cheese but prefer a dairy-free or vegan diet? Then you’ve come to the right place. Let me show you how to make a perfectly creamy, delicious, and soft vegan mozzarella cheese alternative with just a handful of ingredients.
Consisting mainly of cashew nuts and dairy-free yogurt, this vegan mozzarella cheese balls are super light and creamy. Texture-wise, it reminds of Buffalo mozzarella.
You can use these vegan mozzarella balls cold in caprese salad, pasta salad, or sandwiches. Or sprinkle it over vegan pizza, vegan lasagna, or use it in a grilled cheese sandwich for a nice melt. This vegan cheese does melt wonderfully yet exhibits a nutty flavor.
Admittedly, the taste is not 1:1 comparable with mozzarella made of cow’s milk, but that’s totally acceptable since this is a dairy-free alternative!
The offer of vegan mozzarella cheese in the supermarket is growing almost daily, yet I haven’t found one that convinced me. Most aren’t very delicious nor melt properly. Therefore, another plus to this homemade vegan mozzarella cheese! It’s a quick and easy recipe, and it will last an entire week in your fridge.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Cashew Nuts → The main ingredient!
- Dairy-Free Yogurt → Yogurt makes the mozzarella extra creamy and light! Make sure to use unsweetened yogurt, preferably soy or oat yogurt.
- Agar-Agar Powder → Agar is a plant-based gelatin derived from seaweed. I recommend using the powder, which is widely available.
- Psyllium Husk Powder → A soluble fiber that absorbs water and has many health benefits.
- Nutritional Yeast → For a cheesy flavor!
- Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Salt → To season!
This visual step-by-step instruction will help you along the way on how to make this vegan mozzarella recipe – definitely recommended if you’re a cooking beginner!
- Soak cashew nuts for 15 minutes in hot water. Drain over a sieve.
- Add soaked cashew nuts with all the remaining ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a small pot, bring to a boil, and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Divide the hot sticky mixture between 3 small bowls, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight. → The mozzarella balls will thicken once cold.
- Use like regular fresh mozzarella for caprese salad, or add it to pizza/oven-baked dishes. It’s a very soft and creamy cheese that melts once hot.
Mini Mozzarella Balls
If you prefer mini mozzarella balls, form small balls using an ice cream scoop with the hot cheese mixture. Transfer them into a prepared bowl with ice water and let them sit for half an hour before serving.
Vegan Caprese Salad
Thinly slice one cold vegan mozzarella ball with a sharp knife. Slice 1-2 ripe tomatoes and arrange both on a serving platter or large plate. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and decorate with a few fresh basil leaves. Feel free to top it with balsamic cream.
Storage & Freezing Instructions
Store mozzarella balls directly in the wrapped bowls or in an airtight-container in the refrigerator. Stays fresh for up to 5 days.
Freeze mozzarella balls in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Frozen mozzarella is super convenient, as you can grate it directly frozen over pizza or lasagna.