Crispy smashed baby potatoes is the new way to serve potatoes as a side dish! Similar to french fries, yet easier to make!
Smashed potatoes is a funny way to turn potatoes into a delicious side dish. They are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside – similar to those homemade french fries! Furthermore, they are easy to make, can be adjusted with different seasonings, vegan, and gluten-free! Serve them with a dipping sauce of your choice, green salad, grilled vegetables, or a low-carb dish of your choice.
Once in the oven, they do not need a lot of attention. One of the reasons why I love this crispy smashed potatoes recipe! 😉
I recommend using baby potatoes. They are cooked and baked quicker than regular potatoes. Plus, they are easier to smash in one go and turn out deliciously crispy. Do not peel your potatoes. Wash them thoroughly. The crispy skin is delicious once baked!
See recipe card for quantities.
- Baby Potatoes → Or potatoes of your choice! But the smaller, the crispier!
- Olive Oil → Can be substituted with plant-based butter or vegetable oil.
- Salt & Pepper → I love to used seasoned salt!
This visual step-by-step instruction will help you along the way – definitely recommended if you’re a cooking beginner! The exact quantities and everything else you need to know for the recipe can be found in the recipe card below.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly, place in a large pot, cover with water, and add 1 tsp salt. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. → They are ready when you can stick a knife into the middle of the potatoes without any noticeable resistance.
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Drain potatoes and let them cool in the colander for 5 minutes.
- Place on a large baking sheet (I usually line mine with parchment paper – easier to clean) and smash each potato with a fork or potato masher.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and black pepper. → I love to use seasoned salt!
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Don’t flip! → Larger potatoes need a little longer!
Hint: I love to make smashed potatoes with baby potatoes. They turn out crispier and are quicker to cook and bake. However, you can choose potatoes of your choice. If using regular potatoes, you might need to adjust the cooking and baking time (approximately +10 minutes).
- Garlic & Onion – sprinkle potatoes with garlic and/or onion powder before baking!
- Deluxe – sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley!
- Dip – serve smashed baby potatoes with a dip such as chimichurri sauce, vegan tzatziki, vegan herb butter, or a quick dip made with dairy-free creme fraiche (dairy-free sour cream works too) and chopped chives!
Store smashed potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge. Good for 2-3 days. Reheat in the oven (390°F/200°C) or microwave.
I don’t recommend freezing the potatoes!
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love
- French Fries
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Potato Broccoli Soup
- Sweet Potato Curry Soup
- Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes